Updates in Seremban

I have been tagged to list that 20 facts about myself on instagram, guess I prefer to write about my life recently as well as some facts that I can recollect:

1) I am now in Seremban doing my clinical years, which is the capital of Negeri Sembilan. Since young, I would visit here once in a while as my aunty stays here (sometimes we celebrate our CNY here). However I am not very familiar with this place and it feels kinda different when you stay in a place long term compared to just visiting. You have to really stay in a country/place for a while to really understand the culture and lifestyle, the impression we usually got from holidays are just superficial (Still Japan is top notch compared to many countries that I visited, just saying)

2) Clinical years are busy, and in some ways, tough, to me. I am still adjusting to the routine of going to wards daily and I don't expect myself to take much longer to get used to it. I want to meditate consistently but have failed to do so. I have high expectations on myself and I can only be the change I want to be :)

3) It is essential to have good friends and good company to constantly improve yourself. Friends that know your weakness and tell you without hesitancy. Friends that share your joy and friends that care for you. I don't make friends easily and I am glad that I had friends like that in Sydney and in Bukit Jalil, and despite my huge ego I am always trying to improve myself. To me quality is always more important than quantity. Sadly, most of my good friends (and girl friend) have gone overseas and again I gotta adjust myself here. Talking about impermanence.

4) My body has been weak in this past 2 weeks. I guess it's the chronic stress from studies, family, exams, and a lot of times you are just busy without realising what you are busy for. Time passes, and then one day suddenly you realise: Do I really need to be THAT busy?! But it's okay, it's a good time to practice mindfulness and we need to be sick once in a while to boost our immune system too. 身苦心不苦,我正在学习着。

5) It's much like a smaller society in Seremban clinical school compared to Bukit Jalil. You get to know your batch mates better, even more so when you are a group leader. You see different types of people, those who are learn diligently, those who are smart, those who make a lot of excuses, and those who think that they are smart. I shall not label them so quickly, as human being is very dynamic and we often react differently in different situations. We gotta give everyone (including ourselves) a chance to improve, isn't it?

6) I think that the very rigid senior-junior system (or thinking) in IMU is just bullsxxx. Yes, I might be a bit more senior than my junior, yes I might be a bit older than my batch mates, despite the flaws, you realise that there are so many things to learn from them because each and every one of us have our unique strength. There is nothing to be proud of if you are not a better person, but just being a bit older and more experienced. Sometimes, just sometimes, so called "helpful seniors" is a very egoistic thing- I AM THE SENIOR, hence I shall help you and you shall listen to me.

7) It's also interesting to observe the lecturers here closely. Unlike in pre-clinical years where we have mostly lectures with them, in here we follow them in the ward, and teaching is a much more personal thing here. Contact is much closer. I miss UNSW where I can call my supervisor Mike instead of Associate Professor Mike Manefield (Mind you, he's one of the most brilliant minds I have seen in my whole life, a charismatic, charming, confident, yet humble soul). I miss the casualness. Many of my research team members are post doc and carried the title "Dr", but who cares? In here, title is not just a big thing for these people, it is so important that they have to be mentioned daily as well. Can you believe that some people would actually get upset if you call him/her "Doctor" instead of "Prof"? I am not surprised, but really....... . I can't change them, 我只能让自己不成为自己讨厌的人。

8) To be successful, it's important to have a dynamic and flexible personality. When in need to work in a team, you can blend in well and work well with everyone, which requires a lot of skills. When you need to work alone, you can focus on your work yourself and live alone. This is harder because we tend to find company even if we don't need to. 不甘寂寞. Hence, I like people who are quiet and observant (the quiet observer, I call them). Sounds creepy? No, not really. They are the people who are usually pretty wise, and good in catching things that noisy people don't.

That's all for now! Time to sleep!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

颠倒梦想

渐行渐远

无题